Monday, April 19, 2010

Take two

That's because this is the second time I'm trying to post this LOL

I've taken a week off from running because of being sick last week. It was the right choice to not run but I miss it and I'm looking forward to a strong run after work. The run is coming up soon and I'm getting excited. The 2 ladies I'm running with are getting excited too and I hope they have a great experience as I did on my first 1/2 marathon. If they decide they never want to do another that is fine, I'm just happy that I've inspired them for this one and could be there to cheer them along.

Yesterday we were at a birthday party for my cousin's daughter. It was good to be around my family from Illinois for a second week in a row. It got me to thinking how I really want to be closer to them so I need to come up with ways/opportunities for us to get together, even if it's just for a cook out. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. My mom didn't have us spend a lot of time with family when we were younger, I now know it was so that no one would spill the beans about my brother's dad being alive (and well now we all know he's my dad too). There were so many lies that it really was the only way for her to protect her scheme. Sadly it was my brother and I that really got short changed and we weren't able to spend as much time with our aunts and uncles as I would have liked. Truthfully she hurt herself too but not having them around, now she's kind of all alone, even when she is with family she hangs with her grandkids...and they are getting too old to want to do that.

But on another note, I spent a little time with my Grandpa. He's 89 and just wonderful in my eyes. Last week A asked for an apple cake, one of her favorites especially when it's from great grandpa and he delivered. It's mighty tasty too. But I could see the years are catching up with him. He's slowing down some and I'm not sure how many more years he'll be with us. When I was younger and we'd visit my grandma and grandpa I loved it. Icecream, cookies, gum all the things we were never allowed at home. I would sit and paint my nails with my grandma and then grandpa would scratch my back for hours. It really was wonderful and my little escape from the realities of our home life which weren't great. I don't think my grandparents will ever know how important they were to me. I think my grandparents were amazing, of course my mom recounts how strict they were etc but I guess that's the difference between kids and grandkids....I can see it with how my mom treated me and how she treats her grandkids. I guess it's the normal cycle of life between kids and grandkids. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment