Friday we headed down to the hotel and we drove to the start of the race and looked for parking. We drove as much of the route as we could, part of the park was closed off so we couldn't drive it but we did more than half and that gave the ladies a sense of what the course was going to be like. We stopped to pick up some Subway for dinner and went back to the hotel room for dinner and a little TV. Storms were brewing and all I hoped for is they would pass before morning.
Sleeping was not as good as I would have like, but it's a hotel so what do you expect. 5:15 the alarm went off and we started to get ready. My pre-race jitters started some, probably more so because I had 2 friends that were joining me and I wanted their first 1/2 marathon experience to be a good one and that they wouldn't curse my name after LOL.
Found parking and made our way to the start line after checking my bag. Took some pictures and the nerves seemed to dissipate. I got a little emotional when the national anthem was played just because it's so exciting and I really wanted to be strong. Weather was great!! Sunny mid to upper 50's a little humid and not much wind at the start gate. And off we went. I kept to my 9 min running 1 min walking pace and did really well. Around 4 mile I recalled last year when I was getting side stitches, not this year, I was still strong. Having spectators line the course gives you added motivation as well. Before you knew it I was at mile 7, this is where I really got into trouble last year and the turn around point seemed like an eternity away, not this year that turn around point came quicker.
As I turned around I first say Penny (friend from work) going towards the turn around, I cheered her on and gave her a high five. Then I saw Andrea, she looked like she was strong and she had a smile on her face, gave her a high five and continued. Then I saw Ann, I knew she would be walking this 1/2 marathon and she was going strong and I cheered her on along with a high five. Coming back into the downtown area I had more walking breaks because of some hills, so I walked them and then continued on my run. Each hour I refueled with water, shot bloks and caffine beans. Each walking break I took I was sure to take in my water and also at each water station. Hydration was not something I did well last year so I wanted to ensure I didn't make that mistake again.
As I'm at about mile 11.5 my phone rings, it's my husband (who drove with Ann's family) asking where I was as he was hoping that he didn't miss my finish. All was good and he gave me a little encouragement. Made it to mile 12, full marathoners continued 1/2 marathoners turned around....I was feeling good. I saw my family towards the finish line and each of my kids ran the last .1 mile with me. What a great feeling. The clock said 2 hours 39 min. I'm still waiting for the official time to be posted. I was ecstatic, my first 1/2 in Napa I finished 2:38:52 and last year's time I didn't even really pay attention to, it was under 3 hours but not good at all.
I got my medal, water, banana, orange and Wheaties refuel cereal and off to watch for Andrea and Ann as they finished. I stretched as I waited for them, and took my shoes off to uncover some icky blisters. I cheered Penny through the finish line, cheered other runners as well and then Andrea came....we screamed for her and I ran in front of her to get some pictures as she was crossing the line. I was so excited for her and gave her a big hug. She was cramping so we got her some water and banana's to help. Then off to go watch for Ann. We cheered her on and she was emotional. Her family walked through the finish line with her. I met her with a huge hug.
This whole experience really meant a lot to me. It once again proves that I can do anything I put my mind too. If I train right, work hard and enjoy myself, I can do ANYTHING!!! I was happy that I inspired 2 other wonderful woman to run/walk their first 1/2 marathons and they enjoyed their experience. I was happy to have my family there and I can't wait for the next one in September!!!
Thank you to my readers, your encouragement and constant cheerleading has meant the world to me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Great write up - I felt like I was there! Yay for you, and Andrea and Ann. Finishing a 1/2 marathon is no joke! I'm so happy this went well.
ReplyDeleteWonderful play by play! Got tears in my eyes reading this...so proud of you! Congrats my friend...
ReplyDelete