Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Training Begins

Yesterday was my first official run of training for the 1/2 marathon in May. It felt good even though I was interrupted with a couple of phone calls. The run felt strong and good and I was happy to have gotten it in. I actually worked out with J and that's nice. Because of the weather my friend Andrea didn't come over to work out. And that definitely was OK by me as I didn't want her to drive in that weather, it was one of those days to just stay home if you didn't need to go out. Today is listed as a rest day, I typically take rest days on Wednesdays because of religion classes, I don't have to try and rush or start my work out at 8pm.

So work....I know that a guy is leaving. I'm the only one that knows at this point as I could read it on his face. Now I'm very happy for him, but selfishly I wonder where this leaves me. He was always my "go to" guy and all the technical stuff I know is because of him. So this really has me thinking of what it is I want to do with my career. I told J about this guy leaving and how he is getting a 35% increase in pay, he deserves it that's for sure and my company has always been know to under pay some of its employee's (I feel I am one of them). J's solution is telling me I should take a technical class, the trouble is, I don't know if that's what I want to do. I often thought that working for a charity might be nice, lately thinking about the Make a Wish Foundation or MACC Fund. But I'm not exactly sure what they all do and if it would be something that would interest me. J also mentions Customer Service as that is some of my background, but what kind of Customer Service. I have a flexible schedule and I don't want to be at the beckon call of a client like in my old group. I thought of perhaps a Physical Therapist but I"m not sure about that either....I wish I know what I wanted to be when I grow up LOL.

Am I the only one that faces this issue? Is everyone happy in their jobs or know what they are good at?? I struggle to answer these questions as I was never pointed in any directions or motivated to try new things. I believe I need a change in my professional career but I'm just not sure how to go about doing that. I think part of my hesitation is that I do lack the confidence in my own skills. The gentleman that's leaving my group (he's also a friend) says that he wishes that I could see in myself what I'm worth and that I know more than I give myself credit for. Those are wonderful complements, I just wish that I could see that in myself....I'm not sure how to change my outlook. I'm hoping that taking control of my exercising and weight will help give me the confidence that I can make changes in other aspects of my life. As with my work outs, sometimes they are strong, some times they aren't but the point is, that I'm out there doing it...trying and NOT giving up.

2 comments:

  1. I'm always wondering what I want to be when I grow up. It's what would truly make us happy that we need to think about. You are such a people person and you strive to make people happy; however, would doing it all day long drain you for dealing with your family? Only you know the answer to that.

    I do know that whatever you decide to do, you'll give it 100% and you will make it work, because that's the strong, committed woman you are.

    And I'd be happy to do a career counseling session with you, if it would help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES that would help Deanna!!!! A session would be just what I need!!!

    ReplyDelete